“It all comes down to Christmas” as hosts Bobby and Kristina discuss 2012’s A Christmas Story: The Musical on My Favorite Flop’s out-of-town, limited-edition Christmas Special.
ABOUT A CHRISTMAS STORY: THE MUSICAL
Based on the popular 1983 film, A Christmas Story: The Musical tells the story of Ralphie Parker, a child in 1940s Indiana, who desperately wants a Red Ryder BB Gun for Christmas. After numerous regional productions, out-of-town tryouts, and national tours, the musical finally opened on Broadway for a limited engagement in 2012. The show features a book by Joseph Robinette with music and lyrics by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul.
The Broadway production cost $9.5 million dollars to produce, making it impossible to pay back investors during the show's limited engagement — officially earning its status as a “flop.” Despite its "failure" on The Great White Way, A Christmas Story: The Musical has continued to tour across America, remain popular in the regional market, and was even adapted for television in 2017.
Original Broadway Cast
- Johnny Rabe/Joe West as Ralphie Parker
- Zac Ballard as Randy Parker
- Dan Lauria as Jean Shepherd
- Erin Dilly as Mother
- John Bolton as The Old Man
- Caroline O’Connor as Miss Shields
- J.D. Rodriguez as Schwartz
- Jeremy Shinder as Flick
- Jack Mastrianni as Scut Farkus
- John Francis Babbo as Grover Dill
- Analise Scarpaci as Esther Jane
- Beatrice Tulchin as Mary Beth
- Eddie Korbich as Santa
- Kirsten Wyatt as Mrs. Schwartz
- Andrew Cristi as Restaurant Waiter